These are my Top Ten fantasy books that I’ve read and loved. They are all books that I would recommend to anyone (and chances are that I have if we have spoken), and I think they should be staples on EVERY fantasy lover’s shelf!
10. And I Darken by Kiersten White– This book is hands down one of the BEST books of 2016. Lada is so bad ass and is an amazing character. I was on the edge of my seat the entire book. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book.
9. The Selection Series by Kiera Cass– I read this series two years ago (just the original three books) and it is still one of my favorites. The idea of this princess fairytale mixed in with reality TV is a recipe for something amazing in my book. I will admit that I haven’t read The Heir or The Crown because the reviews have been so mixed for them. It’s one of those things where I don’t want these two books to ruin how much I loved the original triology.
8. The Mara Dyer Series by Michelle Hodkin– If you read the first page of this book, I guarantee you will be hooked. The whole series was the kind of roller coaster that leaves you breathless and feeling like you can’t wait to ride again/need to throw up. Seriously one of the best YA thriller/fantasy/I-don’t-know-how-describe-this series I have ever read.
7. The Legend Series by Marie Lu– The author grabs you right in the feels from the beginning. You follow June and Day as they navigate a crazy dystopian world. The series continually picks up speed as it goes on and the ending….. *cries in corner*
6. Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas– I remember when ToG first came out and everyone was freaking out about how great it was. I was really skeptical because based on the cover (YES I used to judge books by their covers) and the description (I was hardcore into contemporary), I just didn’t think it was for me. I gave it a shot anyway and…. OMG you guys. First of all, ToG is one of the most talked about series in the book community, and it is for good reason. Sarah J. Maas is a freaking genius. Book #5 comes out this fall and I already can’t handle how epic it is going to be.
5. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black– Hands down one of the best vampire books I have ever read. Holly Black creates such indepth characters that you aren’t sure if you love or hate.. do you want to be them or are you scared to death of them? I love everything about this book and would give some or all of my limbs if Holly Black would write a sequel or other books in this world. *desperately begs*
4. The 5th Wave Series by Rick Yancey– If y’all follow me on any social media, you know how much I love this entire franchise. Rick Yancey takes aliens and goes beast mode on the world. He creates one of my favorite female characters ever, Cassie, who battles internally and externally with what it means to be a human going through an alien apocolypse. I laughed, I cried, I cheered, I swooned, I wanted to through the books across the room… It’s just fanatastic.
3. The Dark Elements Series by Jennifer Armentrout– If you haven’t read anything by JLA then you are seriously missing out. JLA is one of those authors that is so genuine and so sweet. She creates characters that you want to be friends with and know. In the case of The Dark Elements series, I wanted to be Layla, I wanted to be best friends with Zayne, and I wanted to devote my life to Roth. If you are debating reading this book, just give it a shot for Roth alone. He is the embodiment of book boyfriends. WHOOSH
2. The Lux Series by Jennifer Armentrout– See above about how awesome JLA is. Lux was my first JLA series and is what got me hooked. Katy is every fan girl ever and she is lucky (?) enough to have neighbors as aliens. Specifically she is lucky (!) enough to have Daemon Black as a neighbor. Daemon is 100% alien hotness that frustrates you yet still makes you want to drink his bath water. Even if you aren’t an alien fan, give this series a shot. It has everything you want out of a long-ish (for me, anyway) series.
1. The Kricket Series by Amy Bartol– I thought that this was going to be a long series, but it turns out this is just a triology. You guys have no idea how much I wanted to freak out and burn down the world once I realized that the third book was IT. The series is absolutely fantastic, Kricket is a strong female lead, there are hilarious supporting characters, an intense story line, and so SO many swoony love interests (this is one of the only novels where I started out loving one guy and ended up HATING him by the end. The guy that I HATED in the beginning is who I loooooooveeeddd at the end). I can’t believe the story ended how it did.. I WANT MORE. Seriously, you need to read this so I can have someone to commiserate with.
Have you read any of these? If so, which one was your favorite? This post has me super hyped up and I really want to fangirl with someone!